LUNCH VOLUNTEER GUIDELINES 2018-2019
Welcome volunteers and thank you for volunteering! We cannot offer this valuable service without your help! Our focus is on supervising the lunch service and not food handling. We are not allowed to touch the food since we do not have food handler’s permits. We will be spending more time in the lower MPR with the younger students since there are more of them and they need more help.
- Please arrive no later than 10:00am for 1st shift. Second shift, no later than 11:30.
- Please park in the spots marked “Visitors”.
- Sign in with front desk using IVP card or receipt for the first time. After you are in the system, only a picture ID is needed.
- Empire will start setting up around 9:30am.
- We highly encourage you to show your school pride and wear your Basis T-shirt when serving lunch. Otherwise, please wear school appropriate attire.
- Locate the green lunch binders and whiteboards on the shelves in the upper and lower MPR storage rooms. Empire should have these storage rooms open already.
- Take out the correct distribution lists for the day you are volunteering. Attach it to the clipboards.
- Attach an Action Sheet behind each distribution list. This will be used to record any issues/changes throughout the day.
- Pens, washable markers, whiteboard markers, etc. are located in the zipper pouch inside the binder.
- On the whiteboards, write the day’s menu with a whiteboard marker (double check it matches what the Empire staff is serving). Place the whiteboards on top of the black baskets located between the two storage room doors. Ask Empire where to put it if you are unsure.
FIRST AND SECOND SHIFT RESPONSIBILITIES FOR LOWER MPR:
- You will be responsible for marking off the student’s names on the distribution lists, marking their hand with a dot (use washable marker), and monitoring the salad bar to see if food is running low. If a student returns to the table for anything, double check the dot on their hand.
- Friday’s will have two volunteers due to the number of students ordering on pizza days. One volunteer should mark off the list, while the other volunteer helps monitor the salad bar, napkins or utensils, and monitors students “dots” who may return to the lunch service table.
- IMPORTANT: Only one plate and one trip for hot food; only one plate and one trip for the salad bar. However, students may go to their lunch table set/eat their first plate and then come back to get the rest of their lunch.
- Empire proportions all lunches based on number of orders for the day. Students will not be allowed extra food.
STUDENTS CLAIMING TO HAVE ORDERED LUNCH BUT ARE NOT ON THE LIST:
- If they have a receipt showing they ordered that day and for the correct month, give them a lunch and write their names on the Action Sheet.
- If they don’t have a receipt, write down their names and record the parents name, phone number, and email. Send them to the front office to call a parent. The boosters will provide a light snack.
STUDENTS WHO FORGOT TO BRING A LUNCH:
- Ask the student to call their parents. They can use their phones or go to the office to call. Some volunteers offer their phones to call, but you are not obligated to do so.
- Refer to the Information Sheet taped to the clipboard if you need to speak to one of the lunch team coordinators. Call if you have ANY QUESTIONS!
- Record all issues on the Action Sheet. Please be sure to provide all necessary information for us to contact the parents and follow through. Please also record any discrepancy with food quantity or quality.
FIRST AND SECOND SHIFT RESPONSIBILITES FOR UPPER MPR:
- The upper students will mark themselves off the list with the help of the Empire staff.
- After finishing each lunch period in the lower MPR, go upstairs and check with the list and Empire staff for any issues.
- Please keep in mind, that students may be meeting with teachers or taking test during their scheduled lunch periods. They will pick up their lunch at a different time.
- Record any issues on the Action Sheet.
CLOSING OUT THE DAY IN BOTH MPR’S (SECOND SHIFT)
- File the distribution lists back in the binder in the correct tabbed location.
- Place any markers and pens back in the zipper pouch of the binder.
- Take a clear, easy to read photo of the upper and lower MPR Action sheets and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. File them in the binder in the used Action Sheet location.
- Return binders to the shelves in the storage room.
- Remember to sign yourself out at the front desk.