LUNCH VOLUNTEER GUIDELINES 2018-2019
Welcome volunteers and thank you for volunteering! We cannot offer this valuable service without your help! Our focus is on supervising the lunch service and not food handling. We are not allowed to touch the food since we do not have food handler’s permits. We will be spending more time in the lower MPR with the younger students since there are more of them and they need more help.
WHAT TO BRING:
- Please bring your IVP card or your receipt saying you have had your fingerprints scanned.
- Once you shown your IVP card and are in the Basis Scottsdale school system, you only need your driver’s license when you volunteer.
- We would love for you to show your school pride and wear a Basis t-shirt to school. If not, please wear school appropriate attire.
- Please arrive no later than 10:00 am for first shift. Second shift, arrive no later than 11:30 am.
- Park in the spots marked “Visitors”.
- Sign in with front desk using IVP card or receipt for the first time. After you are in the system, only a picture ID is needed.
- The caterers will start setting up around 9:30 am.
- Locate the green lunch binders and whiteboards on the shelves in the upper and lower MPR storage rooms. The caterers should have these storage rooms open already.
- Take out the correct distribution lists for the day you are volunteering. Attach it to the clipboards.
- Attach an Action Sheet behind each distribution list. This will be used to record any issues/changes throughout the day.
- Pens, washable markers, whiteboard markers, etc. are located in the zipper pouch inside the binder.
- On the whiteboards, write the day’s menu with a whiteboard marker after you double check it matches what the catering staff is serving. Place the whiteboards on top of the black baskets located between the two storage room doors. Ask the caterers where to put it if you are unsure.
FIRST AND SECOND SHIFT RESPONSIBILITIES FOR LOWER MPR:
- You will be responsible for marking off the student’s or staff member’s names on the distribution lists, marking their hand with a dot with a washable marker, and monitoring the salad bar to see if food is running low. If a student returns to the table for anything, double check the dot on their hand.
- IMPORTANT: Only one plate and one trip for hot food; only one plate and one trip for the salad bar. However, students may go to their lunch table set/eat their first plate and then come back to get the rest of their lunch.
- The catering company has pre-determined the proportions of all lunches based on number of orders for the day. Students will not be allowed extra food.
- Refer to the Information Sheet taped to the clipboard if you need to speak to one of the lunch team coordinators. Call if you have ANY QUESTIONS! Lunch chair contact info is listed below and on the clipboard.
- Record all issues on the Action Sheet. Please be sure to provide all necessary information for us to contact the parents and follow through. Please also record any discrepancy with food quantity or quality. Please taste the food and give us feedback on it. This feedback will ensure we have data to share with the caterer to make sure we serve tasty and high quality foods.
- If you have names on your list of students who have not received their lunch and it seems the majority of kids have been served, please go around the tables and try to find those students. Sometimes the catering staff or school helpers know who that child is and can help as well. If a child is absent, sent home sick, or refuses their hot lunch, please note it on the sheet so we can track it.
STUDENTS CLAIMING TO HAVE ORDERED LUNCH BUT ARE NOT ON THE LIST:
- If they have a receipt showing they ordered that day and for the correct month, give them a lunch and write their names on the Action Sheet.
- If they don’t have a receipt, write down their names and record the parents name, phone number, and email. Please send them to the front office to call their parents for lunch. We cannot provide them a hot lunch if they are not on the list or have a receipt.
STUDENTS WHO FORGOT TO BRING A LUNCH:
- Ask the student to call their parents. They can use their phones or go to the office to call. Some volunteers offer their phones to call, but you are not obligated to do so. We cannot provide them a hot lunch if they are not on the list or have a receipt.
FIRST AND SECOND SHIFT RESPONSIBILITIES FOR UPPER MPR:
- The upper students will mark themselves off the list with the help of the catering staff.
- After finishing each lunch period in the lower MPR, go upstairs and check with the list and the catering staff for any issues.
- Please keep in mind that students may be meeting with teachers or taking test during their scheduled lunch periods. They will pick up their lunch at a different time.
- Record any issues on the Action Sheet.
CLOSING OUT THE DAY IN BOTH MPR’S (SECOND SHIFT)
- File the distribution lists back in the binder in the correct tabbed location.
- Place any markers and pens back in the zipper pouch of the binder.
- Take a clear, easy to read photo of the upper and lower MPR Action sheets and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
- File them in the binder in the used Action Sheet location.
- Return binders to the shelves in the storage room.
- Erase the dry erase board and place it near the lunch binder.
- Remember to sign yourself out at the front desk.